Friday, November 29, 2013

Early Thanksgiving in Connecticut

Because I couldn't get more time off from work, my gentleman and I visited my parents in Connecticut last weekend to celebrate early Thanksgiving. We did all the traditional things (cheese ball and onion dip), made all the regular foods, tried a few new things, and had a fun time.

Frying the turkey is always the quickest (and really, it's the best) method for cooking turkey, so that's what my family opted to do this year. My gentleman helped my dad with the process.

turkey

turkey

I obviously didn't eat it, but my dad always does a good job frying the turkey and then everyone is happy.

turkey

I made Apple Snickerdoodle Cobbler for dessert and it was disappointing. You can go to that post to read about why.

We also had green bean casserole, canned corn, biscuits, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and sweet potato casserole. To go with the biscuits, my bestie (/brother's girlfriend) Erica made butter.

turkey

No seriously. She made butter. She put cream in a kitchenaid mixer, beat it until it became a solid, squeezed it out in some cheesecloth, added some salt, and then formed it in molds.

turkey

It was fantastic. I might try it sometime because I would love to make my own butter. It's so much easier than you would expect. Good job, Erica!

So that was Thanksgiving in Connecticut. It was nice and traditional and made me happy.

No comments: