Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Bloomin' Onion Bread

This recipe is *everywhere* on Pinterest. Everyone has it. It took me forever to figure out where it originated, but I finally discovered that it came from The Changeable Table. Everyone on the planet seems to have made it and raved about it on their blogs.

I hated it. I think it's a really, really cool idea and it has a neat presentation. I did not like the cheese - I felt like the monterey jack just sort of pooled into goopiness and didn't add a nice cheesy flavor. The poppy seeds were weird. I wished that there was garlic. I feel like it would be better with some garlic, a different kind of cheese, and nix the poppy seeds.

But see? It looks cool!

bread

Bloomin' Onion Bread
The Changeable Table

1 unsliced loaf of (round is preferable) sourdough bread
1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons poppy seeds

Using a sharp bread knife cut the bread going both directions. Do not cut through the bottom crust. Places slices of cheese between cuts. Mix together butter, onion, and poppy seeds. Pour over bread. Wrap in foil the entire thing in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Unwrap. Bake 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.

No comments: