Friday, October 18, 2013

Preparing for Winter

I finally got myself to the local farmer's market to stock up on vegetables for the winter. My goal was to get as many vegetables as possible, prepare them, and freeze them in order to use them throughout the winter. I got an enormous haul for very little money - I spent $40 total, and that included an $11 jar of raw honey (my favorite! Honey-in-a-bear be damned!).

freezer

Now, I only have a little bit of experience preserving food. I've frozen fresh peas, strawberries, and blueberries after picking them from a farm in Maryland, and a couple years ago I diced up and froze a ton of honeycrisp apples. But for the most part, I had to look up how to prepare all of the vegetables. I found different tutorials for each vegetable I froze, so I'm going to link you to all of them. The website I liked the most was Hickery Holler Farm. I liked her microwave method. It made the vegetables and greens less soggy than if I blanched them.

freezer

So, in addition to the 10 boxes of girl scout cookies I still have left from last winter (shut up), I now have:

*Corn on the cob
*Three colors of bell peppers (red, green, & purple)
*Rainbow carrots
*Yellow squash
*Zucchini
*Roasted poblano peppers
*Cabbage
*Kale (and this one)
*Broccoli

(I linked each vegetable to the tutorial I learned from.)

I plan to try to get to the farmer's markets a few more times before the end of the season and do some more freezing so we will have fresh vegetables all winter long. Hooray!

No comments: