Monday, October 28, 2013

Cookie Monday: Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies

Last Cookie Monday of October, so it was time to do another pumpkin cookie!

My coworker and I were talking at length the other day about pumpkin in baked goods. The concern, demonstrated in the Pumpkin Snickerdoodles I made a few weeks ago, was that pumpkin seems to disappear when it's combined with flour. We tried all kinds of things. My coworker's mom even got in on it, trying to make things pumpkin-y. It just doesn't seem to work. Pumpkin flavor disappears and the spices are what you notice.

This cookie recipe is a pudding cookie, and I'm mildly ashamed to admit that the pudding mix replaces not only the spice but also the pumpkin. There is no pumpkin in this recipe at all. And the saddest thing about it? It tastes more pumpkin-y than anything else I've made. Sigh. So good though!!!

The other change was that I ran out of flour in the middle of baking and had to add a little bit of whole wheat pastry flour instead of the AP. I don't think this affected the taste or texture, and it probably was a pretty good mistake!

pumpkins

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
Chef-In-Training via Pinterest

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 small pkg. pumpkin spice instant pudding mix
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 cups flour
1-2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Cream butter, brown sugar and sugar together in a large bowl. Add in dry pumpkin spice instant pudding mix and beat until well combined. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add flour and baking soda and beat until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.

Roll dough into 1" balls. Place them on a greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.

Yield: 3 dozen

1 comment:

Justine Levine said...

Can I work at your office? Or import you to mine? Artificial flavor or no ... your cookies make me swoon. :)