Monday, September 16, 2013

Caramel Apple Cookies

It's only September 16 and already everyone is clamoring for pumpkin-flavored everything. I feel strongly that, while fall is almost here, pumpkin is for October. Apples are for September. So for Cookie Monday this week, I found a recipe on Pinterest for a delicious cookie with apples in it, topped with a caramel drizzle.

I used a combination of gala and pink lady apples, and that's the only change I made. These are just wonderful. The graham cracker crumbs don't change the texture of the cookie but add a really nice flavor.

Well, I ran out of cookies by 12:30 this afternoon. They were very popular. I have never run out of cookies so early in the day before. For some reason I was met with a lot of skepticism about having fresh fruit in a cookie, but they ended up winning everyone over. When I got home, my gentleman was saddened that there were none left and requested I make them again around Thanksgiving. Yes. Yes, I will do that for you.

cookie

Caramel Apple Cookies
From HomeMadeModern via Pinterest

2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 2/3 cups flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large apple, cored, peeled, and finely diced
1 cup vanilla caramels
3 tablespoons whipping cream

Beat butter for 30 seconds. Beat in sugars until fluffy. Then add eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until combined. Fold in the apples. Drop dough by the tablespoon-full onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes. Microwave caramels and cream in 30-second intervals until nearly melted, whisking until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cookies. You may have to re-microwave it a few times to keep it drizzly.

Yield: I got 5 dozen out of one batch

No comments: