Saturday, August 17, 2013

Myrtle Beach

Alright I got back from Myrtle Beach 2 weeks ago and am just now getting around to posting this. I'm sorry.

Obviously the most exciting food adventure in Myrtle Beach was the shark feast I already posted about. Kick ass.

We ate at a lot of restaurants, small cafes or takeout places, ordered pizza, and made food. Lots of things were consumed. I have made sure to document the more memorable food places, so I will break them down for you here.

1) Steak 'N Shake
On our way down to Myrtle Beach (a 14 hour drive), my Gentleman realized that we would be near a Steak 'N Shake. We don't have one of them near us in PA (although I just googled and found out there's one that just opened up near Harrisburg, oops). This general fast food restaurant reached somewhat mythical proportions by the time we were settled, and thus we went to eat food.
shake

You may not be shocked to learn that Steak 'N Shake's menu is built upon burgers made of steak, and milkshakes. We sat at the bar inside to watch the chefs making the food.
shake

And guess what! They had a vegetarian sandwich! It was filled with vegetables and cheese and avocado and was quite delicious. I really enjoyed it. We had an enjoyable time and it was tasty.
shake

2) Douchey McDougals
The restaurant's actual name was Finn McCool's. It was a landmark for us to know where to turn to get to our condo, and for awhile no one could remember the name so we just ended up calling it whatever words we could think of, with an Irish twist. This was one of the huge inside jokes of the whole trip and I'm sure isn't funny to anyone else.

We actually only ate there once. We ordered pudding shots while waiting for the food, which they served in big plastic syringes. It was wonderful.
shots

(Fun Fact: There is a bar in Philadelphia called Finn McCool's where my Gentleman and I went during our Philly weekend in April.)

3) Sticky Fingers
Of all the places we went during our trip, Sticky Fingers was not only our favorite but also the only place we went to twice. We found it by accident and ended up having the most wonderful southern barbecue. It turns out it's a small chain, but that's okay. We loved it so very much. And if you think there's no vegetarian food at southern barbecue, you are wrong. Remember: side dishes. SIDE DISHES. I had a huge stuffed baked potato and fried corn and macaroni and cheese and hush puppies and cole slaw and SWEET TEA and pie and omg. So many things. I took pictures of a bunch of our plates.

sticky

sticky
(My plate)

sticky

sticky

sticky
(A seven-layer caramel apple pie!)

And then I got home and went to the grocery store and discovered... our grocery stores here in PA carry Sticky Fingers barbecue sauce. Oh my gosh. Best.
sticky

4) Medieval Times
For my gentleman's mom's birthday, we went to Medieval Times.

medieval

It turns out they have enormous drinks. Tons of beer ("Kingling" = their Yuengling) and mixed drinks and fancy shots. Gentleman got a huge HUGE mug of beer (in a glass we got to bring home) and I got a huge HUGE mango coconut daiquiri type thing.
medieval

When his stepdad made the reservations, he told them I am a vegetarian, because at Medieval Times there are no menus. Everyone gets the same thing: chicken, potatoes, soup of some kind, and no utensils. But guess what! The vegetarian menu is WONDERFUL. I think I would prefer it over the chicken even if I did eat chicken. It was so great.

medieval
First I got hummus with pita and vegetables.

medieval
Then I got a big pot of vegetable and bean stew over brown rice. (And a spoon.) It was hearty and delicious. I really, really enjoyed it.

So that's my post about Myrtle Beach.

No comments: