Sunday, August 11, 2013

Fresh Cherry Cup-Pies

If you've followed for a little bit, you know by now that every summer at some point (even last year when I was in the throes of moving), I bake Fresh Cherry Pie with an abundance of delicious fresh cherries. It truly is the best cherry pie recipe I've made, or had, and I love it. Cherry pie filling be gone! Fresh cherries for life.

So while I had this urge to bake this pie, I know that my gentleman and I are unlikely to eat the whole thing (despite the time we literally ate an entire pie - that never needs to happen again). Then suddenly, I remembered the tv show Pushing Daisies. Though generally a show about reviving the dead for 60 seconds to solve mysteries, the main characters own a restaurant that serves only pie. And in one episode, one of the characters develops the Cup Pie.

pushing daisies

As chance would have it, Pinterest happened to have a link to a tutorial for making cup-pies. The link is HERE.

I adapted it to use my own aforementioned pie recipe and it worked BEAUTIFULLY. Oh my goodness. I went with the traditional lattice-top because I love doing lattice-tops, but it could easily be a double-crust.

I only baked four of them - it made 12 - and I put the other 8 into the freezer, unbaked. My hope is that I can then bake them individually whenever we are needing some pie. Does that seem like a good idea? I think it does. I have never frozen an unbaked pie before so I'll keep you updated on the results.

Anyway, this was my beautiful cup-pie.

pie

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This is adorable! I loved that show and totally made an apple pie w gruyere because of it once :)