Thursday, July 18, 2013

Cookie Monday: Strawberries & Cream Cookies

I will talk about Cookie Monday in a second, but first I need to tell you about my marathon cooking day. I was in charge of providing this week's meal to a coworker out on medical leave, so I decided to go with a nice, safe ginormous dish of macaroni & cheese. I used this recipe since it's simple and she has young kids, and I subbed a special "mac & cheese" mix (cheddar, mozzarella, and American shredded) for all the other cheeses. I used whole milk, and I did not add the cayenne. I also made two little ramekins of it for myself and my gentleman. It was tasty. I hope they liked it too!

While I was baking that, I also decided to make a huge batch of cheesy hash brown casserole. Confession: I forgot the cheese. I have to add it to the top of the one I already cooked. It's an easy fix since I have most of it frozen in pans anyway so there's an opportunity to mix in cheese before it's baked, but I still feel stupid. Cheesy casserole, and I forget the cheese. Typical.

At the same time, I also made a small batch of Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies because I thought that would be a festive little dessert for my coworker's family. How can I provide a dinner without including cookies? I kept half the batch to take to work to give to the nurses on my unit at work because it had been an especially difficult day and I wanted to apologize for my role in it. That worked out well.

SO let's rewind then to Monday, when I brought a bunch of cookies. It's a cheater recipe and I feel terrible about it, but I worked all weekend and I'm on-call and I'm tired so it was amazing that I managed to bring cookies at all. And these were LOVELY. If you like strawberry cake, you will like these cookies. They were delicious and sweet and summery. I actually will keep this recipe around because it's SO FAST and so easy to make, but they look so impressive. Yum!

cookie

Strawberry and Cream Butter Cookies
Tasty Kitchen via Pinterest

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 egg
1 package (18.25 Oz.) Strawberry Boxed Cake Mix
1/2 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Mix in the vanilla extract. Lastly, mix in the cake mix until thoroughly incorporated.

3. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours.

4. Roll the chilled batter into 1? sized balls and then roll them in powdered sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and gooey.

5. Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners’ sugar, if desired.

Yield: 3 dozen

No comments: