Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Cookie Monday: Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

I had originally planned to make these banana cream pudding cookies, since I'm on this whole pudding cookie kick lately, but when I realized the entire flavor of the cookie came from an artificial banana pudding, I decided against it. I took to the internet to find a recipe that would use the actual bananas I had in my kitchen (especially since fresh produce is a rarity in my home!) but would still be tasty.

I decided on this recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies. All the reviews complained that the cookies were too much like pancakes. This did not sound off-putting to me; this sounded perfect! The cookies were very easy to make and baked well - I cooked them about a minute less than suggested and they turned out fine. Even making tiny cookies, though, I still ended up with only 3 1/2 dozen. I doubled the recipe! It had said it yielded 3 dozen cookies. Doubling it should have brought me to 6 dozen, but alas! Oh well. I think it was still okay.

The cookies are good. They do taste like little pancakes, which I used to my advantage to convince people to eat them. "You can totally eat one at 8:15 in the morning; it's like a pancake. It's breakfast." It was also pointed out to me that they are kind of like muffin tops, which is neat too. They're really good and have good banana flavor without turning into banana bread.

cookie

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
Taste of Home

1/3 cup butter -- softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips -- (6 ounces)

In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, banana and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen (supposedly)

1 comment:

Justine Levine said...

I made a version of these in college and LOVE them. :)