Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hash Brown Casserole

At work, my department often has breakfasts to celebrate events. Nurse's Week, baby showers, elopements - breakfast is an inexpensive way to celebrate, at a time when we know we'll all be in the office. There's generally a routine. E will bring rice and little empanada-type things. C will bring her french toast casserole. L will bring the maple syrup for the french toast casserole. Sometimes S also brings a competing french toast casserole. LD brings a cherry/apple cobbler. Someone brings fruit and coffee. Breakfasts are wonderful but there are rarely surprises.

A few weeks ago, to celebrate Nurse's Week, we had a breakfast. All the regulars were present on the table, and then... a pan of hash brown casserole. We each took a little, then a lot, and before we knew it the ginormous aluminum pan was empty. It was the most magical surprise. It is the best breakfast food I've ever eaten (sorry, C and S). I tracked down the coworker who brought it - Miss Debbie - and got the recipe. She has given me permission to post it, so I am going to share it with you.

I made it earlier this week - the whole recipe, which makes an enormous amount - and filled up a casserole dish, plus two aluminum pans. I didn't bake the ones in the aluminum, and instead stuck those in the freezer to make in the future. Best idea ever. When my little casserole dish came out of the oven, I let it cool and then decided to try just a little bit of it til my gentleman got to my house for dinner. Just one little forkful. Delicious. Then another little forkful. By the time he got to my house, I was sitting on the kitchen counter eating potatoes right out of the dish while watching Wheel of Fortune. A moment of shame? Yet a moment of pure happiness. Thanks, Deb!

Sorry for the terrible photo; it was really hard to tear myself away long enough to take a picture.
casserole

Hash Brown Casserole
This makes a huge amount of casserole, so be prepared.

2 pound bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 pint sour cream
1 can cream of anything soup (she used chicken, I used celery)
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 soup-can full of milk (or more - enough to help everything mix together)
Finely chopped onion
Salt and pepper

Mix everything together. Bake for an hour to an hour and a half at 350.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.