Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Double Chocolate Chip Heath Bar Cookies

This week I wasn't sure what to make for Cookie Monday, but a bunch of people mentioned maybe making some sort of chocolate cookie again. I pondered, and I looked on the Pinterest, and then out of nowhere my friend Mark posted a recipe on my Facebook. It was perfect! A brownie-like chocolate cookie with big pieces of Heath Bar in it. Delicious.

I added a tiny bit of espresso powder to make the chocolate flavor deeper, and I used full-size Heath Bars that I smashed with my pepper grinder (I'm classy). They sell the little Heath Bar brickle bits but I find that those are too small and tend to disappear when mixed into baked goods. I highly recommend using the real candy. I did add the sea salt to about half the cookies just to see what the reactions would be. Personally, I liked it better without the sea salt but some people really enjoyed it.

So these went over well and even the people who are iffy about chocolate cookies were fans. I really liked the base of this cookie as well. You could easily add in other things instead of the Heath Bar, like peanut butter chips or Oreos or whatever. It's a solid chocolate cookie recipe.

cookies

Double Chocolate Chip Heath Bar Cookies
From CenterCutCook.com

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cups cocoa powder (dutch process of you have it)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup Heath Bar Toffee Pieces
Pinch of sea salt for each cookie, if desired, for garnish

With your mixer, cream together softened butter and granulated sugar. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and table salt. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet. At this point it should be a very thick dough! Fold in chocolate chips and Heath Bar toffee pieces.

Place the dough in a bowl, cover, and chill in the freezer for about 20 minutes, or in the refrigerator for an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drop 1 rounded tablespoon of cookie dough for each cookie on ungreased baking sheets. Leave about 2 inches between each cookie. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.

Immediately after the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle them with a pinch of sea salt, if desired. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before carefully transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Yields about 5 dozen cookies (so I doubled it, of course!)

No comments: