Monday, April 01, 2013

COOKIE MONDAY: Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

While not a cookie, I thought these little bite-size, portable treats would work out well for Cookie Monday this week. I was intrigued by them because they remind me a little bit of Take 5 Bars, which are delicious. I also am a sucker for anything with sea salt. PLUS: it involves no cooking at all. It was time-consuming because it's completely hands-on, as you have to assemble everything and then spoon chocolate over every little pretzel, but it was ultimately easier than baking 8 dozen cookies.

Plus you probably have most of these ingredients in your pantry already.

I used regular pretzels but I also bought a small bag of gluten-free pretzels so I could include some of my coworkers who usually miss out. I used milk chocolate from the bulk bin at the grocery store, and my beloved grey fleur de sel from Penzeys (a little goes a long way!). I doubled the recipe and got nearly 120 little pretzels.

Of note is that the recipe never calls for refrigerating these, but I found that they NEEDED to be refrigerated in order to really harden. I let them dry for a few hours on the counter but then I refrigerated them for about 15 minutes before putting them into my cookie container. I then put the cookie box into the refrigerator overnight. Worked perfectly!

People said they really liked them! Despite the simplicity, they accomplished their goal. Another successful Cookie Monday!

pretzels

Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites
From I Wash You Dry, via Pinterest

50 or more small twisty pretzels
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ounces chopped semisweet or milk chocolate
Coarse Sea Salt

1. In a small bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the peanut butter, melted butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until incorporated and mixture is crumbly.

2. Lay out all the pretzels on a large piece of parchment paper. Take about 1/2 tsp of the peanut butter mixture and roll it into a ball. Place it on top of the pretzel. Repeat until finished (you can save any extra filling in plastic wrap in the freezer for later).

3. Use your finger to gently press the peanut butter mixture into the pretzel, making it slightly flat on top.

4. Melt the chocolate according to package instructions. Spoon the melted chocolate on top until it runs down the sides. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of coarse sea salt and let dry until firm. (Note: This is where you would refrigerate them if you decided that was needed.)

1 comment:

Justine Levine said...

AAACK! This is EXACTLY what I am craving right now. BUT: no pretzels in the house. And too lazy to melt butter. ;)