Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Cookie Monday That Was Not: Lemon Shortbread Edition

I went to Florida last week for a friend's wedding and got back late Sunday afternoon. Not wanting to leave my coworkers high and dry on a Cookie Monday, I thought ahead and looked for a solid icebox cookie recipe. Icebox cookies are kind of like a homemade version of Pillsbury slice-and-bake cookie dough: you make the dough, roll it up into a log, and shove it in the freezer. My brilliant idea was to make the dough, freeze it, and then it would be an easy slice-and-bake situation on Sunday.

A brilliant idea in theory! It was easy, I quickly cooked all of the cookies, but... a lot of them burned. And they were small. And they did NOT TASTE GOOD. I thought maybe once they'd cooled overnight, they'd taste better. I was wrong! Cookie Monday was a wash. I decided that I couldn't subject my friends to this kind of disaster. They were burned, oddly salty (I'd read this in reviews so I decreased the amount of salt - apparently not enough!), and not lemony enough. I was really angry. Don't make this. It's not delicious.

cookies

Lemon Icebox Cookies
Martha Stewart, Everyday Food, January/February 2010

2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar, for rolling

In a food processor, pulse flour, confectioners' sugar, salt, and lemon zest until combined. Add butter and process until sandy. Add egg yolks and lemon juice; pulse until dough comes together. Divide dough in half and form each into a 1 1/2-inch-wide log. Wrap in plastic and freeze until firm, about 2 hours (or up to 1 month).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Spread granulated sugar on a piece of parchment; roll logs over sugar to coat. Slice logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices and arrange, 1 inch apart, on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are golden brown around edges, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.

Yield: 60 tiny cookies

No comments: