Sunday, March 03, 2013

Individual Tiramisu Trifles

Look guys, I'm on a roll here! So much of the cooking is happening!

Yesterday I felt inspired in general. My gentleman had a really rough day yesterday - someone broke into his car and stole some stuff - so I decided to make comfort food. What's more comforting that Taco Bell, really? Only a few things. So I made my Homemade Crunchwrap Supremes in the hopes that it would make things a little better. I think he was nervous at first - he still is unsure about the vegetarian thing - but he said he really liked it and ate all of his and part of mine.

While I was at the grocery store yesterday, I saw a package of ladyfingers and decided that I MUST make tiramisu. Because it was only the two of us, I picked a small recipe for individual trifles in wine glasses (or, in my case, plastic martini glasses) and quartered it so it would just make two servings.

I'm pretty proud of myself for knowing my stuff with tiramisu so I altered this recipe without a lot of consideration. Instead of marsala wine, I used some Kahlua. Personal preference, not for the tiramisu purist. I did NOT use cream cheese and instead used the traditional mascarpone, mixed with a little less sugar than is called for since mascarpone is already sweet.

I was pretty proud of the result. It turns out that tiramisu is one of my gentleman's favorite desserts, which I'd had no idea of prior, so that was cool. This took all of about 5 minutes to make (not including the chilling time), so I'll definitely keep this recipe around for times when we need a quick dessert.

tiramisu

Individual Tiramisu Trifles
Cooking Light, September 2004

1 cup cold strong brewed coffee
3 tablespoons Marsala wine
8 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese -- softened
1/2 cup block-style fat-free cream cheese -- (4 ounces) softened
3/4 cup sugar
30 cakelike ladyfingers -- (2 1/2 [3-ounce] packages)
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa

Combine coffee and wine; set aside.

Place cheeses in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually add sugar, beating until well blended.

Cut each ladyfinger crosswise into 3 pieces. Arrange 5 ladyfinger pieces into each of 9 wineglasses or small bowls; drizzle each serving with about 1 tablespoon coffee mixture. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese mixture into each glass. Repeat layers once; sprinkle evenly with cocoa. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Servings: 9

3 comments:

refriedbeatss said...

that looks really good lauren! i'm actually hoping to try the crunchwraps at home soon because i do agree, nothing more comforting than taco bell. well.. except wine.

Keith Bolek said...

Those look awesome! Although I don't ordinarily make desserts, I am going to make those sometime very soon.

Justine Levine said...

*sigh* When am I coming over to your place for dessert? ;)