Monday, March 25, 2013

Cookie Monday: Jacques Torres's Secret Chocolate Chip Cookies

Much like the famed "secret" Neiman Marcus cookie recipe, Mr Torres's cookie recipe is not so "secret" either (though the Torres recipe is real, and the Neiman Marcus one is not). I remembered seeing it in a newspaper years ago and the recipe has popped up all over the place since then. Most recently I saw it on Pinterest, but I've had the recipe saved from Martha Stewart for years. Because one batch makes 8 1/2 dozen cookies, I decided it was a good option for Cookie Monday.

My friend Janet brought in perfectly-shaped Nestle Tollhouse cookies the other day and shared a tip with me: if the dough isn't too tacky, roll it into balls. Even when it says to just drop the dough, nope! Roll it into balls. They'll spread to be perfectly round and uniform. It was amazing. My entire batch was perfectly the same size. I was so proud!

One of my coworkers brilliantly described these cookies as "giant versions of Cookie Crisp cereal." It's true. I prefer softer cookies and these definitely were not soft. This is largely due to the bread flour and the pastry flour - especially since I used whole-wheat pastry flour, since that's all my store carried. I used some strong dark chocolate, as well as one bar of milk chocolate and a bag of semisweet mini chocolate chips. I brought in 100 cookies and came home with zero, so I'm pretty happy about that. I still like the Crisp & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies better, but this was a nice addition to my Cookie Monday canon.

cookie

Jacques Torres's Secret Chocolate Chip Cookies
Martha Stewart Show, 2007

1 pound unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons pastry flour
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 pounds Jacques Torres House (60 percent cocoa) Chocolate or other best-quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add both flours, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and chocolate; mix until well combined.

Using a 4-ounce scoop for larger cookies or a 1-ounce scoop for smaller cookies, scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly browned, but still soft, about 20 minutes for larger cookies and about 15 minutes for smaller cookies. Cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 8 1/2 dozen "smaller" cookies (actually regular-sized cookies) or 26 five-inch cookies

1 comment:

Justine Levine said...

I just twisted my ankle, am confined to the couch, and need these. *weep*