Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Linguine with Shrimp Scampi

I had the day off yesterday. This is a rarity. It's to make up for the fact that I worked on Saturday, but it was still a day off. My gentleman was planning to come over after he got off of work, so I felt inspired to cook. For real. Finally.

Classic Lauren.

I went all out. I set the table and used the Nice Dishes that I got years ago but have literally never used, and pretty placemats. I made brownies (from a box - I can only be expected to make so much from scratch). I made Roasted Broccoli and I heated up some frozen garlic bread.

And then I made the shrimp scampi. I love Ina Garten's recipes because they're always good, though she uses SO MUCH BUTTER. I don't care. I figured her recipe would be great, and it was. The only thing I changed was to add about 1/4 cup of white wine. I don't know why her scampi recipe lacked wine, but that's one of the hallmarks of a scampi recipe. So I added that while the shrimp were cooking and let it cook down a little. I also used angel hair pasta instead of linguine. These were all excellent decisions. This really only took about 15 minutes to make, and it was delicious. The meal was received well and all was eaten.

Truthfully, when I finished cooking, I could have just burst into tears. I was so proud of myself. I felt so normal. This is what I do! This is how I am! I cook food! I love to feed people! Cookie Monday has been a great way to feed people but it's different to make a meal. Let's be honest - I'll probably eat the rest of the brownies for dinner tonight. But perhaps soon I'll cook another fancy meal! And then again! And again! And then I'll be back to the way I used to always be. How exciting!

scampi

Linguine with Shrimp Scampi
Barefoot Contessa

Vegetable oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons
3/4 pound linguine
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic -- (4 cloves)
1 pound large shrimp -- (about 16 shrimp) peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 lemon -- zest grated
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice -- (2 lemons)
1/4 lemon -- thinly sliced in half-rounds
1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

Drizzle some oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the linguine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.

Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily! Add the shrimp, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.

When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.

Servings: 3

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Good for you, Lauren! Glad you got back into the swing of things...even if it's only for one meal right now. And YES...good call on the wine. I hope you had a glass (or 3) for yourself, too ;)