Saturday, January 05, 2013

Ode to Egg Salad

In my effort to eat Real Food even when I don't feel like cooking, I hard-boiled a bunch of eggs the other day so I could make egg salad sandwiches instead of eating a bowl of Lucky Charms for dinner. Brilliant idea, right? I mentioned this on my Twitter and it sparked a whole discussion of egg salad, particularly between myself and my friend Scott (who, by the way, is a musician so go listen to his stuff). We discussed our sandwiches and our methods. As Scott describes this event, "Giving out my egg salad recipe on twitter is the closest l'll get to having a mommy blog. Or perhaps is even worse.

My recipe: Two hard-boiled eggs (room temperature preferred), smashed up with some mayonnaise, little bit of mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne. Not too smushed, though. And it always has to be on toast.

Scott's Recipe: Basically the same as mine except about 3/4 teaspoon of horseradish instead of the cayenne. Sometimes he adds tomatoes or pickled peppers. Also not too smushed.

eggs

I did make his version yesterday (see photo above) and it was good but I like mine better. It should also be noted that I am strongly against celery and relish in my egg salad. I also don't love it when it's so mushy that it's almost like an egg paste. That's gross. I think everyone has their own version. How do you make yours? And if you don't like egg salad at all then you have no business reading this blog post.

I also had a brief comparison of methods for making perfect hard-boiled eggs (with no gray around the yolk) between several of my other friends via the Twitter. I learned my version from Giada de Laurentiis, which is:

Put eggs in a pot. Cover with cold water. Put on the stove and bring to a boil. When it hits a rolling boil, turn off the stove and cover the pot. Let it sit for 12 minutes. Drain and set the eggs aside to cool.

My friends all use the same method, generally, but the cooking times varied from 8 minutes to 12. I have found that anything less than 12 seems to yield a slightly less-solid yolk, and I hate hate hate runny (or even just kind of not-quite cooked) yolks. They freak me out and are gross.

Tonight I made a real dinner and will post about it tomorrow, but egg salad has been my sustenance on several occasions this week thanks to the forethought of boiling eggs, and the conversation last night sparked my idea of posting about it on my blog. Everyone has their own preference and recipes, and that's neat.

No comments: