Monday, January 21, 2013

COOKIE MONDAY: Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today was Cookie Monday! One of the occupational therapists at work had tipped me off to this recipe, which has been making the rounds on Pinterest. I enjoyed the original post's scientific approach to these colorful cookies, particularly the method of making the cookies into little "pillars" versus balls to bake them more evenly. It worked SUPER WELL (see her original post for the instructions).

I used a mix of semisweet and white chocolate chips, and I used Funfetti cake mix instead of regular "white or yellow." I had some issues using the cake batter because it seemed like I was cheating, but then I decided that it was just kind of like replacing part of the flour. I also added the full amount of sprinkles even though Funfetti cake already has sprinkles in it. Doubling the recipe yielded 6 1/2 dozen cookies, which was just enough. Everyone really liked these. They actually said these were their favorite to date, so that's pretty cool. I bet these could be tweaked for all kinds of cake flavors, too.

cookie

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Copied from Sally's Baking Addiction via Pinterest

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup yellow or white boxed cake mix
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles

In a large bowl, sift together flour, cake mix, and baking soda. Set aside. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed. Mix in the egg and vanilla until creamy.

Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix the dough. Fold in the chocolate chips and sprinkles. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, or up to 4 days.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Scoop rounded tablespoons of the cold dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. Shape your cookie dough balls to be “taller” than they are wide. Make sure to keep dough chilled when working in batches. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly browned. The centers will appear very soft, but the cookies will set as they cool.

Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 3 dozen

2 comments:

jhl said...

Ugh. And this would be why I'm carrying around an extra 15 pounds. But still ... I really, really want a cake batter cookie. Just one. Think I could bake just one?

Ha ... just kidding. ;)

Marianne said...

I made these this weekend! My family loved them, as did I! I made a few 'errors'--forgot to refrigerate the dough before baking, used an egg that was cold not room temp, my chocolate chips were actually semi sweet baking melts thus very large, and made them waaay too big (only made like 20 cookies!) - and they were still amazing!!

Keep up the great recipes :-)