Monday, December 03, 2012

Cookie Monday: Deep Chocolate Mint Cookies

It is December, and therefore it is time for minty things. I decided this weekend that I wanted to make my mom's chocolate mint cookies for Cookie Monday. She's made them every Christmas since I was a kid. They aren't a secret recipe; they came off the back of a Nestle Tollhouse bag, back when they were still making straight-up mint morsels. The "mint morsels" they make now are a combination pack of dark chocolate and weird green minty chips. Those are what I used this year in this recipe.

I've made these cookies a lot of times (first posted here in 2006!) and every time I've had to use some kind of new mint chip. Trader Joe's has some mint chocolate chips. Hersheys makes a mint-creme-filled Hershey kiss that might work in a pinch. I was panicked at the store on Saturday until I found the right ones.

I'm not normally one to tweak cookie recipes, but I decided to be adventurous this time. The recipe technically only makes 1 1/2 dozen cookies, and I needed 9 dozen. So I quadrupled the recipe (yup, quadrupled), added a little bit of extra baking soda to make them puff up more, and then made small tablespoon-sized balls of cookie dough. The cookies were smaller than my mom's are, which was perfect because I did indeed manage to get 9 dozen cookies out of it. I still have a few left, but most of them are gone! Hoorah!

ETA: Also: I never melt chocolate chips in a double-boiler. Just put them in a bowl in the microwave, set it for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until they're melted. It works just fine as long as you keep an eye on it. This does not work for fake white 'chocolate,' because it gets all gummy and weird. Just in case you were wondering.

monday

Deep Chocolate Mint Cookies
Nestle / My Mom

1 1/2 cups Mint chocolate morsels, divided
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (5 1/3 Tbsp) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Over hot (not boiling) water, melt 3/4 cup Mint Morsels; stir until smooth. In small bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Beat in melted morsels, egg, and vanilla extract. Gradually blend in flour mixture. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup mint morsels. Drop by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls unto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are puffed. Let stand 5 minutes on cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

Makes 1 1/2 dozen cookies

1 comment:

jhl said...

Good for you, making them your own! They look FABULOUS. :) We need a cookie swap, you and I. ;)