Monday, November 05, 2012

Trapp Door Gastropub

My friend and I were sitting at a conference on Friday discussing dive bars in my new area of the Valley, particularly ones that have excellent food and/or ambiance. This led to a googling, and that led to the discovery of the Trapp Door Gastropub in Emmaus. It isn't a dive bar, and it has a fancy brunch menu. But what really sold us was the fact that they have a bloody mary bar. Seriously. A whole mix-your-own bar. (I'll get to that in a minute.)

So naturally this immediately led to making reservations for brunch on Sunday. Five of us went, and though the wait was pretty long for our food, the drinks and food were all delicious.

vodka

Of course, I ordered the bloody mary. Overwhelmed by the sheer number of salts, hot sauces, homemade pickles, horseradish mixtures, pepper, etc, I just started adding all kinds of random stuff til it tasted just right. I think this concoction consisted of a L-O-T of sriracha sauce, horseradish, celery salt, homemade habanero sauce, and a lot of pickles. I know. So weird. It doesn't even matter. It was amazing. Couldn't even taste the vodka. So much love for this. I miss it. I yearn for it. I would like to drink it every day. I shouldn't do that.

Two friends ordered omelettes (yum!) but my camera didn't take a good picture of those. We also had an order of beignets (little fluffy doughnut-like pillows in a framboise sauce). Amazing.

Janet got Eggs Benedict, which came on fancy brioche.

benedict

And I got huevos rancheros, sans chorizo. SO GOOD. Oh my gosh. I was just the happiest.

rancheros

All in all, this was wonderful. I'm glad we found it. It's so close to my house, so I hope to take future guests there for brunch - and perhaps even venture out for dinner or drinks sometime. Especially another bloody mary.

No comments: