Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mushroom Potpie

When I became a vegetarian (15 years ago, this month!), I ate a lot of potatoes but I also discovered frozen vegetable pot pies. Just like chicken pot pies, just without the chicken. They were yummy and tasty and I'm sure helped with my transition to eating more vegetables. I still buy them every once in awhile from the grocery store.

This little potpie is very basic, and while it's called a mushroom potpie, it really has a LOT of other vegetables in it. You also can't really go too wrong with things involving puff pastry, because even if the dish itself sucks, you can just eat all the puff pastry. Win-win.

pie

That being said, this was not my favorite thing I have made. It was good, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. I made the full recipe because I was hoping to take it with me for lunches this week, but I really am not feeling that. I don't know. I was kind of disappointed by this. I wouldn't make it again.

(I did a very bad job of scooping it out of the pan so it's a mess. I'm sorry.)
pie

Mushroom Potpie
Real Simple, November 2011

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms -- (such as cremini or button) halved, or quartered if large
4 carrots -- cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 celery stalks -- sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 medium onion -- chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
kosher salt and black pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup frozen peas
1 sheet puff pastry -- (half a 17.3-ounce package) thawed

Heat oven to 400° F. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the broth and peas; bring to a boil.

Transfer the mushroom mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish. Lay the pastry on top and cut several vents in it. Place the baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until the crust is golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.

Servings: 4

No comments: