Monday, November 12, 2012

Cookie Monday: Toffee Almond Sandies

Ugh you guys, Cookie Monday is probably my favorite thing ever now. I brought in 6 dozen cookies (SIX. DOZEN.) and I came home with none. I gave them all away! All day long! It is SO MUCH FUN. People are happy with cookies. And some people are then made happy for the rest of the day because they missed lunch and I just helped boost their blood sugar. And it gives me an excuse to talk to random people, and I make new friends, and everything is just the freaking best. And apparently people are reading this blog now, which is both scary and entertaining. I've had a solid ~200 daily readers (which I'll never understand) for about 5 of the 7 years I've had this blog, and this is the first time it's really started increasing. Totally bananas.

On to the cookies.

Since last week was brownies, I determined that this week should not be chocolatey. I usually lean toward chewier cookies, but I do really like pecan sandies (which are hard and crumbly), so this seemed like a fun (and easy) adventure. Make sure you get the toffee bits, NOT the pieces with the chocolate on them. The toffee doesn't really stay solid, either. It kind of melts a little bit and ties the cookie together. The almonds are a nice exchange from the pecans. I don't know. It's just a really good cookie. I had very positive feedback, so that's pretty fantastic. Definitely a recipe to keep!

P.S. It seems like there is a lot of butter and oil in this, but when you realize that I managed to get 7 1/2 dozen out of this recipe, suddenly the amounts don't seem bad at all. I did a Weight Watchers calculator for my friends and it came out to like 1 point for 2 cookies. Not bad at all.

sandies

Toffee Almond Sandies
Taste of Home, Feb/March 1998

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped almonds
1 6-oz package English toffee bits
Additional sugar

In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add oil, eggs and extract; mix well. Combine flours, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in almonds and toffee bits.

Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheets and flatten with a fork. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned.

Yield: 6-7 dozen

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You should make Pecan Sandies sometime, and I then I will laugh and think of It's Always Sunny.