Thursday, November 01, 2012

Cookie Monday: Halloween Spritz Cookies

Sorry I didn't post this on Monday! The hurricane hit and I lost power. Everything was fine here though! No flooding or anything. I did it all by myself! I am a champion! Everyone's power has slowly been coming back on, and everything is disorganized and a mess, but in general things are okay.

SO on to the cookies.

Every Christmas, my mom makes these little green Christmas tree cookies with her cookie press. She has to make like a thousand of them because my family and I eat them so quickly. Simple and buttery with a slight almond flavor, they're kind of like soft little shortbreads. One year my mom wasn't home for Christmas so we didn't have the cookies and it was like the world was ending (this was only 2 years ago, haha). I bought a cookie press at that point but totally forgot to ever use it. I was looking on pinterest the other day and discovered that my particular cookie press has a pumpkin-shaped attachment. And thus, I knew what I had to make for Cookie Monday this week: my mom's spritz cookies.

As with everything my mom is 'famous' for, her 'secret' recipe turned out to be a Betty Crocker recipe. I found it on the BC website. My mom usually decorates her trees with a little bit of corn syrup and some sprinkles. Since I was making pumpkins (using food coloring to make the dough orange), I decided not to bother with sprinkles. Perhaps next time!

cookie

I'd like to say the cookies were as great as the ones my mom makes, but they aren't quite there yet. Everyone liked them at work, but I think I could have done better. I WILL definitely make these again! This is really the penultimate spritz cookie recipe and I will always fall back on it.

cookie

Holiday Spritz
Betty Crocker

These delightful cookies can be made in various colors for any holiday or occasion - ready in about an hour. Perfect dessert for any party!

1 cup butter or margarine -- softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla
A few drops food coloring -- if desired

1. Heat oven to 400ยบ. Beat butter, sugar and egg in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients.

2. Place dough in cookie press. Form desired shapes on ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until set but not brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool completely.

Yield: 4-5 dozen depending on shape

No comments: