Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cookie Monday: Crisp & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Throughout the past week, I had several people request chocolate chip cookies for this week's Cookie Monday. While an easy fallback is Nestle Tollhouse, you know I like to try new things. I'd originally planned to make these: Chocolate Chip Flying Saucers, but the reviews weren't great and I don't have time for mediocrity. I quickly found another recipe from Martha Stewart that promised a crisp edge with a soft and chewy interior. And you know what? That's exactly what it made.

cookie

I doubled the recipe as usual, and instead of making ginormous scoops for ginormous cookies, I made tablespoon-sized scoops and reduced the baking time to 12 minutes. This worked out perfectly, and I managed 8 dozen cookies versus the 40 I would have gotten if I'd used the huge scoop. Again I came home with zero cookies! Among the comments I received as feedback were, "I normally am not a chocolate chip cookie kind of guy but I love these," "These are the best chocolate cookies I've ever had, except for the ones at KFC and Perkins," and "*expletive.*" Hoorah!

So basically the concensus is this is a pretty solid recipe for an excellent cookie. I would strongly recommend everyone make them!

cookie

Crisp and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Martha Stewart

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
10 ounces unsalted butter -- softened
1 1/4 cups packed dark-brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; beat until combined. Mix in chocolate chips.

3. Using a 2 1/4-inch ice cream scoop (about 3 tablespoons), drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake until golden around edges but soft in the middle, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack, and let cool completely.

Yield: 20 (or 40 per batch if you are Lauren)

1 comment:

Patrick Del Rosario said...

I love chocolate chip cookies! I haven't tried one with vanilla extract. It looks delicious!