Friday, October 12, 2012

Veggie Gyros

I'm not going to pretend to be a Middle Eastern food aficionado, because I'm not. But the truth is that this is NOT a gyro. Just because you put something in a flatbread does not make it a gyro. This is, in fact, a fancified serving of falafel. Which is fine. I like falafel. But let's not pretend this is anything other than what it is.

So I was intrigued by the suggestions of toppings, including the "secret sauce." One of my favorite restaurants in the whole world is Amsterdam Falafelshop in DC, so this sounded fun. As it turns out, this was kind of meh. The secret sauce, despite the harissa, was not very exciting. I enjoyed my sandwiches but I wouldn't make this again.

Sorry this picture is so horrible. I couldn't find a good angle for it so you're left with this crappy one.
gyro

Veggie Gyros
Babble via Pinterest
All notes are from the original posting

2 pieces of white or wheat round flat-bread
Olive oil
6 falafel balls (you could also use seitan, tempeh or veggie burgers)
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
Pepper
1 small tomato, sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced – tossed in lemon juice
2 dill pickles
Tahini sauce

Secret Sauce:
2 teaspoons harissa OR non-spicy option: 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons vegan mayo
Pepper

1. Thinly slice the onions and toss in rice vinegar. I like to let mine chill over night in the fridge to pickle a bit – but this step is optional.

2. Brush your flat-bread with olive oil and grill on until charred – I used a panini press.

3. Mix up your secret sauce

4. Prep your veggies: tomato, avocado, pickles.

5. Grill to warm your falafel balls – I pressed mine on the panini press with the flat-bread.

6. Assemble! Lay out a square sheet of tinfoil. Add the avocado, onions, falafel, pickles, tomato – drizzle some secret sauce over the filling as well as some tahini (or serve tahini on side) and close the flat-bread – wrap tightly in foil to secure. Serve!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Ahahahahaha. Falafel balls.