Saturday, October 27, 2012

Irish Creamy Fudge

Yesterday we threw my coworker an elopement shower, pot-luck style. I know she loves Bailey's Irish Cream - one of her cats is even named Bailey - so I wanted to do something with that. There was already going to be a cake and a pie, and I didn't want to duplicate that, so I picked something totally different: fudge.

It isn't really fudge because there isn't any chocolate in it, but I don't know what else to call it because it still sets up like a fudge. All you really have to know is that it is the consistency of fudge but tastes like a nice shot of Baileys. It's pretty magical. I barely got a photo of it before it was gone. Everyone said it's amazing. I think I will have to make this again for holiday gifts!

fudge

Irish Creamy Fudge
Anna Olson: Sugar on Food Network Canada

1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup light brown sugar -- packed
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup Irish Cream liqueur
2 1/4 cups icing sugar -- sifted

Grease an 8-inch square pan and line with parchment paper so that it hangs over the sides. Stir evaporated milk, brown sugar, white sugar, butter and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, and cook until 238 °F (use a candy thermometer to gauge). Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and Irish Cream and scrape into a bowl or mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low speed or electric beaters, add in the icing sugar in three additions, mixing well after each addition. Scrape fudge into prepared pan and let cool completely before slicing.

Yield: 2 dozen

No comments: