Sunday, October 14, 2012

Homemade Crunchwrap Supremes

Over the years, I have really improved my eating habits (aware that my current candy obsession does not support this claim). I used to eat a lot of fast food, and I don't do that anymore. It's very, very rare. I also try to avoid chain restaurants and instead eat at smaller local restaurants, but that's more for economic purposes rather than health (Pennsylvanians love butter).

Taco Bell is my downfall. If I think of all the fast food I've eaten in the past year, besides the one time when I ate Mcdonalds' fries (I was very, very drunk), Taco Bell is probably the only one I've actually eaten at willingly. And Sonic but that doesn't count. But HOW could I NOT try their Doritos taco - avoiding that is impossible. (It was actually pretty gross. Oh well.) People often ask me, "How do you eat food from Taco Bell? You are a vegetarian." The answer is that they will make nearly anything in a vegetarian fashion. When I discovered this, I started getting the crunchwrap supreme, one of their amazing inventions, made with beans instead of meat, and life was wonderful. IN MODERATION OF COURSE.

It's been a long time, though. I don't eat there much. When I found this recipe on Pinterest, I had to try it. I expected it to be the worst. I used jarred chile con queso (cheese sauce, but NOT the Tostitos brand - use one that doesn't have trans fat in it) because that's closest to the weird gloppy cheese they use in the Taco Bell version. And I had to bake the corn tortillas for closer to 10 minutes before they got crispy. But OH MY GOSH, these were so good. So, so good.

I will definitely make these again. Sorry, Taco Bell. I never have to go to you again.

crunchwrap

Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme
Culinary Couture via Pinterest

6 large flour tortillas
6 small corn tortillas
1 pound ground beef, or refried beans
1 package taco seasoning
Sour cream
Nacho cheese, or shredded Mexican blend
Shredded lettuce
diced tomatoes

1. Brown ground beef in a skillet (or heat up the beans), then add taco seasoning (according to package directions). Set aside.

2. Bake the corn tortillas in the oven at 400 degrees for a couple of minutes, until they are golden and crunchy.

3. Microwave the flour tortillas, one at a time (because they cool off quickly), for about 10 seconds to warm them up; this will make wrapping easier. You could also warm them up in the oven; just wrap them in aluminum foil and heat them up for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

4. Lay out the flour tortilla. Spoon some of the seasoned beef into the center of the tortilla. Top with some nacho cheese, or shredded cheese. Place the crunchy corn tortilla on top of the cheese/beef; spread a dollop of sour cream on top of it, then toss on some diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce.

5. Starting with the bottom of the tortilla, fold the edge up to the center. Continue doing this in a clockwise or counter-clockwise movement until all of the tortilla is folded over, and the filling is entirely enclosed. If your filling isn't entirely enclosed and you have an open spot, simply cut out a circle from another flour tortilla and place it on the exposed area, then wrap the tortilla again.

6. Spray a frying pan with cooking spray. Carefully place the Crunchwrap, seam-side down, in the pan. Press with a spatula and cook on medium-low heat, for about 3 minutes, until the bottom is nice and brown. Flip it over and cook for another 3 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Ooooh this sounds great!