Sunday, October 28, 2012

Creamed-Spinach Gratin

To go with my dinner on Friday, I also made this creamed spinach. Spinach is a powerhouse green, full of lots of vitamins and important things, so it fits in well with my attempts at eating better things again. Cream cheese, not so much. I know! But at least this is from Cooking Light. It adds tomato on top to make it more "holiday"-ish, since it's from one of their holiday cookbooks, but the tomato is a nice addition. I didn't love this. I wish I'd thought to add garlic to it, and it had kind of an odd texture, but it was alright. It's been nice warmed up. I still don't think I'd make it again though.

spinach

Creamed-Spinach Gratin
Cooking Light, November 1997
Also in Cooking Light Holiday Cookbook

10 ounces fresh spinach
Cooking spray
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup tub-style light cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup sliced tomato -- (1/4-inch-thick)
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375°.

2. Remove large stems from spinach. Tear spinach into 1-inch pieces; place in a colander. Rinse spinach under cold water; drain. Set aside.

3. Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add spinach; cover and cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add cream cheese, oregano, salt, and pepper. Uncover and cook an additional minute or until cream cheese melts. Spoon spinach mixture into a 1-quart gratin dish or shallow casserole coated with cooking spray. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on top of spinach,and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Servings: 6

No comments: