Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Golden Thai Curry with Green Beans

I had all the produce required for this recipe (well, I had sugar snap peas instead of green beans - give me a break), and I figured I'd use up some of the coconut milk I have hoarded in the basement. I really expected this to be like Yellow Curry, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's basically a stovetop version of one of my very old, very good standbys: Vegetable and Chickpea Curry (a crockpot recipe). Wow! I haven't made that in forever.

Let's talk ingredients: I didn't have coconut oil and the move is imminent so it's not time to buy any new oils. Therefore, olive oil. I couldn't find yellow curry paste, but I did find a packet of yellow curry sauce, which listed "yellow curry paste" and "water" as the main two ingredients. Thus, I used that instead of the paste AND the water. And finally, if you don't want to commit to buying a jar of cashew butter (again, I am not wanting to buy any new condiments right now), I actually found a little individual packet of it in the organic section of the grocery store. There are a few varieties of nut butters that they're selling in single-serving packets to be used for lunches. So for 89 cents, I got some cashew butter. And while the kaffir lime leaves were pretty, and I have a whole jar of them in my refrigerator, I really don't like them at all. Oh well.

I actually liked this more than the crockpot recipe! With the one in the crockpot, everything cooks down and cooks together (as would be expected... since it is a crockpot). I liked the addition of the cashew butter because it gave an extra little flavor. I would definitely make this again, probably replacing the crockpot recipe entirely (a twist!).

curry

Golden Thai Curry with Green Beans
Vegetarian Times, March 2012

1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (2 1/2 cups)
3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch-thick half moons (1 1/2 cups_
1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
2 1/2 tablespoon yellow curry paste
1 tablespoon cashew butter
1 13.5 oz can light coconut milk
1 teaspoon sugar or palm sugar
1 red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil leaves
3 kaffir lime leaves or 1 tablespoon lime juice

1. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook potatoes 7 minutes; remove with slotted spoon, and drain. Add carrots, cook 10 minutes; remove with slotted spoon, and drain. Add green beans, and cook 5 minutes; remove with slotted spoon, drain, and set aside.

2. Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 7 minutes, or until starting to brown. Stir in garlic, curry paste, and cashew butter; cook 1 minute. Add coconut milk, 1/2 cup water, and sugar; bring mixture to a simmer. Stir in potatoes, carrots, and bell pepper; simmer 10 minutes. Add green beans and basil, and cook 2 minutes More. Stir in lime leaves just before serving.

Servings: 6

No comments: