Monday, August 20, 2012

Vegan Treats

My mom came to visit this weekend, and she has recently attempted to go vegan for health reasons. She was not even vegetarian prior, so this is a big change, although I've been vegetarian since I was 13 so she's gotten used to the idea of what we non-carnivores eat. First we got dinner at Cali Burrito, the best burrito in the entire Lehigh Valley (maybe the world), but then we decided to go out to Vegan Treats for dessert.

Vegan Treats is a little bakery in Bethlehem, PA that - shockingly, I know - makes vegan baked goods. Everything. Cakes, cheesecakes, mousse-filled cakes, sticky buns, cookies. It's been featured in a million bazillion different magazines and TV programs. I have had their brownies before, brought to a board meeting one time, and was surprised at how traditional they tasted. Super delicious.

****EDIT on 9/6/12: Vegan Treats has been named one of the best bakeries in the WORLD by American Express's "Departures" magazine. Holy crap.****

treats

So my ma and I went there at like 9:00 and picked an assortment of desserts. They are expensive, but we like sugar so we bought a lot. We got a white-chocolate raspberry cheesecake, peanut butter bombe, death by chocolate cake, and carrot cake.

treats

I think the death by chocolate cake looks kind of like a Dalek from Doctor Who. No?

treats

We liked the peanut butter bombe the best. The cheesecake was a little disappointing, and the carrot cake was good but very dense. The chocolate cake was delicious and tasted kind of like a ring-ding, but the middle was not delicious (to us). When I go again (because you know I will), I'll probably stick to the peanut butter flavored things, and the brownies. And things made of brownie. And cookies.

It was fun!

1 comment:

jhl said...

I am SOOO jealous! I've wanted to go there forever but the last time I was in Bethlehem it was a day they were closed. :( Some day!!!