Friday, August 17, 2012

Sweet Corn & Quinoa with Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette

I saw this recipe on Pinterest months ago and decided I must make it once sweet corn is in season and at the farmer's market. And what do you know? Corn was finally at the farmer's market last weekend. I immediately planned to make this.

Because it's such a simple meal, it relies on the quality of the ingredients you are using. You really do taste the honey so make sure it's not a crappy, flavorless honey.

I really liked it, but I got bored of it very quickly. I had made it as a vegetarian entree for myself, but I kind of wished it had just been a side dish. It was really good, just not in mass quantity on its own. I have the day off today (a rarity!) and I am planning to heat up the leftovers to have for lunch next to a tomato sandwich. That just makes more sense to me. I would make this again as a side dish for a picnic or something.

P.S. You can tell it's from Pinterest because it tells you to mix things up in a mason jar. If there's anything pinterest loves more than cream cheese, it's mason jars.

corn

Sweet Corn & Quinoa with Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
Iowa Girl Eats via Pinterest

1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
2 green onions, sliced
2 ears sweet corn
Salt & pepper

For the Honey Lemon Vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 garlic clove, microplaned or finely minced
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly under running water in a fine mesh sieve. Combine with water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then place a lid on top and cook until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the Honey Lemon Vinaigrette in a mason jar or small bowl, then shake or whisk to combine. Set aside.

3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green onions and sweet corn, season with salt & pepper, then saute until corn is tender, about 3 minutes. Add in cooked quinoa and Honey Lemon Vinaigrette, then toss thoroughly to combine. Taste, add more salt & pepper if necessary, then serve.

Yield: 3-4 servings

No comments: