Tuesday, August 21, 2012

L.A.-Style Chimichurri Tacos

I thought this would be a nice way to use up some of the brown rice, canned tomatoes, canned beans, and tortillas I've had in my pantry (as part of the Moving Challenge). It was alright. The chimichurri came together quickly while the rice cooked, and the beans and mushrooms were nice. I may have added too much agave nectar because I think the sauce was way too sweet (I KNOW, I never say that) and it was kind of off-putting. It was okay but I wouldn't make this again.

chimichurri

L.A.-Style Chimichurri Tacos
Vegetarian Times, July/August 2012

Rice:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1 medium tomato, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup brown or white rice

Chimichurri Sauce:
1 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons agave nectar
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Taco Filling:
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
6 8-inch flour tortillas

1. To make rice: Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and salt; saute 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomato, and rice, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes for brown rice, 15 minutes for white rice, or until broth is absorbed.

2. To make chimichurri sauce: blend all ingredients in blender or food processor until herbs are finely chopped.

3. To make taco filling: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute mushrooms 9 minutes. Add beans and half of chimichurri sauce, and cook 3 minutes, or until heated through.

4. Fill tortillas with rice and mushroom mixture. Serve remaining chimichurri sauce on side, if desired.

Servings: 6

1 comment:

Eileen Likes To Eat said...

I am doing a cookbook challenge to cook every recipe from Chloe's Kitchen.
Hope you don't mind that I added your post to my blog page under "Others who made it".
http://eileenlikestoeat.com/2013/05/06/cookbook-challenge-chloes-kitchen-la-style-chimichurri-tacos-vegan/