Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Black Bean Tacos with Corn Salsa

YOU GUYS. I actually made dinner tonight. I KNOW.

The stress of the house buying/selling is getting to me, and I can't focus on making food when I'm panicking about house inspections. You know? I want to be one of those people who de-stresses by rolling out fondant, but instead I am one of those people who de-stresses lying on the couch watching action movies and cross-stitching (is that not common?). Some of the days this week I haven't even eaten dinner at all, with the exception of last weekend when I went to a Mexican restaurant in Brewster, NY with my family. That doesn't really count. Boxes of Triscuits and mini-scoops of Haagen Daaz do not count either.

I promise I will work hard to eat legit meals, but I can't guarantee I will be posting as often as I'd like. I close on both houses (!!) on September 18 (omg so soon), and my hope is that once I am settled, I will cook more. My rationale for that is that I will live only 8 minutes from work and thus will have more free time at home. I also will be near a ton of my friends, which hopefully will provide more opportunities for dinner guests and fancy cocktails.

Hopefully.

So tonight let's celebrate this one small victory: I made a new recipe.

It wasn't great. It was kind of like cardboard. I have a photo but I can't post it because my desktop computer has a virus and until I can clean that off, I can't use it. I'll update with a photo when I can. This was bland and had an odd texture from the oats. I would not make this again.

EDIT: HERE IS A PHOTO:
tacos

Black Bean Tacos with Corn Salsa
Self, April 2012

Where's the beef? Who cares? The spiced beans in these festive folds contain fiber, a blood sugar regulator that fends off cravings, as well as protein, which builds lean muscle. Satisfied taste buds and a trimmer you—check and check!


Olive oil cooking spray
2 cloves garlic
2 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
8 small corn tortillas
1 cup corn, thawed if frozen
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 small green chile, diced
2 scallions, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a food processor, chop garlic. Add beans, oats, cornmeal, chili powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; process, stopping once or twice to scrape down sides, until mixture is combined, 1 minute. Crumble bean mixture with hands, sprinkle on prepared sheet, and coat with cooking spray. Bake until firm and crisp on bottom, 10 to 15 minutes. Use a spoon to break up pieces, coat with cooking spray, and bake until crisp all over, 10 to 15 minutes. Stack tortillas and wrap in foil; warm in oven 5 minutes. In a bowl, combine corn, bell pepper, chile, scallions and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; sprinkle with lime juice. Divide bean crumble among tortillas; top with corn salsa and cilantro.

Yield: 4 servings

1 comment:

Ashley said...

That's disappointing. Don't you hate it when something sounds great and turns out funky? Bleh!