Sunday, July 29, 2012

Shady Maple Smorgasbord

Yesterday I went on a field trip with a bunch of women I work with at the hospital. We drove out to Lancaster, PA to go to Shady Maple Smorgasbord. Lancaster is known for being the heart of Amish Country, and Shady Maple is a huge buffet owned and run by the Amish.

shady maple

shady maple

shady maple

Nineteen dollars gets you unlimited food, drink, and pie. They respectfully ask that you not take more than you will eat, which, thankfully, is never a problem for me. There are a million different stations with everything imaginable - largely PA Dutch dishes, like buttered noodles, potato filling, homemade breads, beet-pickled eggs, pork & sauerkraut, and pierogies. There was a salad bar, three or four grill stations with seafood and steaks, tons of homemade bread... For beverages, you could get anything from fountain soda to sarsparilla (my favorite) to milkshakes. And, of course, there was a huge dessert selection.

shady maple

So I walked around, got a glass of sarsparilla, and plotted my game plan. I wanted to make sure I hit up all the veg-friendly specialties. Almost everything was fantastically amazing. So simple, very little seasoning, but delicious. I took pictures of each trip to the buffet:

shady maple
Harvard Beets, buttered noodles, fried shrimp, crab cake, pineapple filling, sauteed waxbeans, sauteed corn, steamed cabbage, mashed potatoes, and au gratin potatoes (my FAVORITE of the day).

shady maple
Cheese bread, cornbread (both of which I later bought loaves of), macaroni and cheese, steamed broccoli, more au gratin potatoes, pierogie, and I had also gotten a beet-pickled egg but forgot to take a picture before I ate it.

shady maple
Dessert: "Magic Bar," blueberry cobbler, apple cobbler, chocolate chip whoopie pie, another piece of cornbread, eclair dessert, banana pudding, and coconut cream pie.

So after eating tons and tons and tons of food, we waddled through the shops and over to the grocery store, where we stocked up on baked goods, locally-made cheeses, super-cheap local produce, and local soda.
shady maple

Here's a photo of me and my ladies:
shady maple

After all the shopping and the hour drive, for some reason we had to stop at Premise Maid for ice cream and to observe candy. I had some delicious peach ice cream. I've had Premise Maid chocolate before, as gifts, but I'd never been to the actual shops.

shady maple

shady maple

shady maple

A magical day indeed!

2 comments:

jhl said...

WOW. That is some seriously BROWN food. :) I definitely need to go to Lancaster ... yummmmm ...

Lori said...

Very fun, for as much time as I spend in Lancaster, I still haven't eaten at the Shady Maple (I have purchased items from the shop, though!).

I also wanted to point out that the Shady Maple is actually NOT Amish-owned and run. It's in Amish country, with PA dutch-inspired cuisine, but it's not an Amish establishment. The photo of the current owners suggests that they are maybe conservative Mennonites, though.