Saturday, July 14, 2012

New Potatoes with Balsamic and Shallot Butter

I've really been eating terribly lately (a bag of sour patch kids and a cup of coffee is NOT BREAKFAST) so my goal at the farmer's market this morning was to stock up on as much fresh produce as possible. I got home and made individual tupperware containers of cantaloupe, blackberries, blueberries, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and cucumber - SPECIFICALLY so I can easily access them for meals and snacks. I'm motivated!

I used some of the lovely fresh produce - including some spicy red garlic! - and a multigrain bread from the Flour Shop to make Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches with Red Onion and Aioli. Delicious as always.

To go with it, I had some small red potatoes and wanted to try something new that would complement the sandwich. I had this recipe involving simmering down balsamic til it's syrupy and then mixing it with butter and herbs. It was much stronger than I had anticipated, but it was still very good. I doubt I would make it again, but it was an excellent side dish for this sandwich!

potato

New Potatoes with Balsamic and Shallot Butter
Cooking Light, March 2005

The balsamic butter mixture is deep brown and tastes delicious. The butter can be made ahead, chilled, and tossed with the potatoes just before serving.

2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup butter -- softened
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt -- divided
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 pounds small red potatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Bring vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons (about 10 minutes). Place in a medium bowl, and cool completely. Add butter, chopped shallots, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper; stir well to combine.

2. Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cut potatoes in half; place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add butter mixture and parsley; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.

Servings: 8

No comments: