Monday, June 25, 2012

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies

Last night I was preparing to make dinner, which means I was watching Mad Men on my couch, and I just did not feel like eating real dinner. What's a girl to do? Make a tray of brownies, that's what. So I did. No, I did not eat the whole tray. Yes, I did eat three in lieu of dinner.

This recipe caught my eye because it does not involve a double boiler or a mixer, and I just didn't have the energy for either of those. It also just uses one bowl. And it has such a bizarre order of adding ingredients. I followed the instructions exactly, and I swear that despite the weird changes in texture, you will end up with a perfect brownie batter. I did not add nuts because I feel like nuts do not belong in my brownies, but I did add chocolate chunks.

If you are trying not to burn the brownies, I would suggest baking it for about 1 minute less than what it recommends and then checking from there. I baked it for 34 minutes and that was all it needed for me. These are delicious, but a tad crispy. Not burned. Just crisp. Some people dig that. If you're an "edge" kind of brownie person, you will really like these. If you are a "middle," then you're SOL. And if you're like me, where you just really want to eat any kind of brownie at all, then these are perfect.

brownies

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies
Country Woman/Taste of Home, January/February 1994
Contest Winning

3/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup butter -- melted, divided
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour -- (1-1/3)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks -- (12 ounces)

1. In a large bowl, combine cocoa and baking soda; blend 1/3 cup melted butter. Add boiling water; stir until well blended. Stir in sugar, eggs and remaining butter. Add flour, vanilla salt. Stir in the pecans and chocolate chunks.

2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool. Yield: 3 dozen.

Servings: 36

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh jeez, I could eat a whole pan of these right now. lol

jhl said...

Oh, boy. I could eat a pan of these, too. YUM.