Sunday, June 24, 2012

Two Potato and Beet Hash with Poached Eggs and Greens

Another pinterest recipe! Finally a major success. I used three different tiny beets - golden, red, and chioggia. What are chioggia beets, you ask? My new favorite variety of beets, that's what.

beet

I read the reviews of this recipe on MyRecipes and nearly everyone said it took a lot longer for the beets and potatoes to cook than they had anticipated. I immediately thought of THIS RECIPE, where I roasted beets and potatoes in the oven. So I printed that out and adapted it. What I ended up doing was roasting the beets with some olive oil, salt, and pepper at 450 for 20 minutes.

beets

I then added the potato and sweet potato for another 10 minutes of roasting. By then, everything was cooked but still crisp. Then I picked up where the actual recipe starts, by tossing it all into a pan with some sage, salt, and pepper.

I had never poached eggs before so that was a scary moment in life, but it worked out beautifully. I over-cooked them on purpose because runny yolks freak me out, so they ended up perfectly delicious.

This entire thing was just wonderful. It was a wonderful dinner. I didn't make a vinaigrette for my greens (I just used bottled) and that makes zero difference in the long run. This was easy and great and I would definitely make it again.

eggs

Two Potato and Beet Hash with Poached Eggs and Greens
Cooking Light, October 2010

To save time, you can purchase precooked, vacuum-packed beets at many markets in the produce section.

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil -- divided
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potato -- (about 3/4 pound)
2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato -- (about 3/4 pound)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage -- divided
3 garlic cloves -- minced
1 cup cubed peeled cooked beets -- (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 teaspoon salt -- divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper -- divided
5 teaspoons red wine vinegar -- divided
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
6 cups torn frisée or curly endive

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add potatoes, 2 teaspoons sage, and garlic; cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in beets, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar. Break each egg into a custard cup, and pour gently into pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove eggs from pan using a slotted spoon. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sage evenly over eggs.

3. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 2 teaspoons vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sage, and mustard in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add frisée; toss to coat. Serve with hash and eggs.

Servings: 4

No comments: