Sunday, June 17, 2012

Strawberry-Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars

The farmer's market has been full of berries these past couple of weeks and I couldn't help buying a big container of strawberries and rhubarb from Beechwood Orchards last week. I looked through my recipes and determined that I didn't have enough of either (even combined) to make a pie, so I pulled out this old recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars from a few years ago. I really liked it when I made it the first time. Despite my note on the original post, I skipped the glaze. I KNOW RIGHT. But it really didn't need it. I swear. It was already sweet enough to begin with. My companion for the evening, Shawn M, rates it a 5/5 in deliciousness. Hooray!

OF NOTE: I ran out of brown sugar in the middle of making this and I panicked. Then I googled. Here is what I learned from Cookie Madness: If you run out of brown sugar, you can use 1 cup white sugar with 1 1/2 tablespoons of molasses, and then just use that ratio for whatever amount of brown sugar you need. It worked perfectly and I didn't even notice the difference. CRISIS AVERTED.

No comments: