Monday, June 11, 2012

Mesclun Salad with Berries and Sweet Spiced Almonds

I loaded up my farmers market bag with fruit and vegetables on Saturday with no meal plan in sight. So then I had to scramble to figure out ways to use everything up. I had a whole big thing of raspberries, most of which I ate while watching TV, and tons of greens, so I decided to try this salad. I didn't make the spicy-sweet almonds. In fact, I don't even have the recipe for it, so I'm going to google it for you and then link to it in the recipe. Instead, I used Sahale Soledad Almonds, which were probably a totally acceptable stand-in. I bought a bunch of garlic scapes for $1 so I threw them into this instead of the chives (and have subsequently used them in nearly everything else I've made). It was very tasty. Go light on the dressing. I really enjoyed it! What a nice, summery salad.

[EDIT: HERE is the recipe for the almonds.]

salad

Mesclun with Berries and Sweet Spiced Almonds
Cooking Light, May 2008

Raspberries add bright color and several good-for-you nutrients like fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin C. Almonds are a good source of vitamin E and monounsaturated fats. Chives, members of the onion family, add phenols and flavonoids.

5 cups gourmet salad greens
1 3/4 cups raspberries -- (about 1 [6-ounce] container)
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
3 tablespoons champagne or white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon country-style Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
6 tablespoons Sweet Spiced Almonds

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl. Gradually add oil, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle vinegar mixture over lettuce mixture; toss gently to coat. Arrange 1 cup salad on each of 6 plates; top each serving with 1 tablespoon Sweet Spiced Almonds.

Servings: 6

No comments: