Monday, June 18, 2012

Beet, Arugula, and Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese

Every week at the farmer's market, I stop by the Cranberry Creek Farm goat cheese tent and I try a different sample, hoping that some day I would find a goat cheese that I liked. I don't know why I feel it's important to like it. I think it's just the idea that I feel like everything can taste good if it's just made a certain way or served a certain way and I don't like generally writing off a food as something I dislike. So this week I finally decided to buy the herb-garlic flavor. It isn't bad. It's tolerable to eat in small quantities. Should be fine.

So I made this with fresh country bread, beets, and arugula - all from the farmer's market. I also decided to skip the sherry and use balsamic instead. I didn't saute the beets, I just sprinkled it with balsamic when it came out of the oven.

Surprise: It was GOOD! I didn't LOVE the goat cheese, but I also didn't hate it. I ate my sandwich and I enjoyed it. I love roasted beets and I love grilled cheese sandwiches, and it worked out to be a good preparation of goat cheese. Hooray! Success! Doubt I'd make this again though, but at least I know I can!

goats

Beet, Arugula & Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese
BS' In the Kitchen via Pinterest

1-2 beets
Olive oil
Arugula
Goat cheese
Butter
French bread
1/2 ounce sherry (optional)
Salt

1. Start off by roasting the beets by your preferred method, such as skinning them with a paring knife, slicing them evenly, tossing them in some olive oil and salt, then baking at 375°F for 20-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.

2. Once the beets have cooked to your desired tenderness (poke them with a fork or taste a few slices), take them out of the oven and in a pan on medium-high heat, quickly fry them with about a ½ ounce of sherry wine, cooking until evaporated. You could also try cooking them in some red/white wine or some balsamic vinegar, as I think they would add some nice flavours to the beets.

3. Once you have finished frying the beets, slice up your bread, butter each side, lay down some arugula, a little bit of goat cheese, then your beets and some more goat cheese, and slap it together!

4. Fry the sandwich in a pan on medium heat until each side is golden brown, then sliced it in half and enjoy!

No comments: