Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Avocado Ice Cream

When my best friend Erica moved in back in March, I did a little interview with her for the blog about the food she likes. Her favorite food, hands-down, is "the almighty avocado." During her stay here, she sent me tons of links to avocado recipes - the California Avocado Commission, Hass Avocados, random blog posts or pinterest pins. I've made a lot of avocado recipes while she's been here, but yesterday I decided to pull out the big guns and make the most bizarre avocado recipe I've found thus far: ice cream.

Erica is moving to Florida today. It's kind of abrupt but it's a good opportunity for her and while we are all terribly sad, I know it will be a positive thing in the end. Even though my brother will probably end up moving to Florida too, eventually. But at least I can fly out of my local airport to see them. And they'll be in Naples, and that sounds like nipples and that is funny. And Erica will be able to have her beloved avocado every day.

Now back to the ice cream. I made it while she and Marc had gone out to sell her car to a junkyard and kept it secret til last night. She was opining about the wonder of guacamole and margaritas, and that sounded like a perfect segue since this ice cream is kind of like a combination of the two. I pulled out the weird, grayish green concoction, and we all hesitantly tried it. These were our reactions:

Me: "I think the tequila is too strong but this is oddly not terrible and has a nice texture for being dairy-free."
Erica: "Sweet Jesus, I love avocado but I DO NOT love this. This is horrible."
Marc: "This is not so bad. It's actually kind of good." //eats the rest of the bowl

And so went the experiment of the avocado ice cream. I wouldn't ever make this again, but it was fun.

I know it looks like baby poop in a bowl. I told you it was a weird grayish-green color.
avocado

Avocado Ice Cream
Eating Well

This is a creamy, refreshing dairy-free dessert Rick Bayless has served in his restaurant Frontera Grill for years.

Tip: To make avocado puree, peel and pit 3 ripe large avocados and process in a food processor until smooth. Measure out 1 1/2 cups for the ice cream. Reserve any extra for another use.


1 1/2 cups avocado puree -- (see Tip) from about 3 ripe large avocados
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup tequila
Lime zest for garnish

1. After making avocado puree, add water, sugar, lime juice and tequila to the food processor with 1 1/2 cups of the puree; pulse until well combined. Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour or overnight.

2. Transfer the avocado mixture to the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. If desired, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving. Garnish with lime zest, if desired.

Servings: 8

1 comment:

Denise said...

"What's not to like? Custard? Good. Jam? Good. Meat? GOOD."

Marc's reaction reminded me of that.