Monday, May 28, 2012

Enchilada Bake

I got a spam message about Christian Louboutin shoes on my last post and it is just one of the most poorly-written comments. It cracks me up. Please don't click the links obviously, but I'm not going to delete it because I'm entertained by it.

I'm trying so hard to cook but I'm working 11 days in a row (this only happens once a year) and I am so tired that I've become a zombie. Plus I couldn't go to the farmer's market this week because I had to work. Boo! But I did cook dinner last night! Erica got a flier from PETA in the mail and it had some good recipes in it, so I figured I'd try one. Neither of us agree with PETA on pretty much anything, but our mostly-vegetarian diets do benefit from new recipes. This one is technically vegan but I made it non-vegan by adding real cheese. Be aware that some corn tortillas are made with lard. And fun fact that I just recently learned: Morningstar Farms soy crumbles are made with egg whites so they are not vegan. Thank god our vegan streak only lasted 5 days.

In general, this was really good. I felt that the soy crumbles didn't add much and would have preferred adding more beans or maybe even potatoes; Erica felt the opposite and would have liked more soy crumbles and fewer beans. So tweak it according to what you want. And while it baked for a full hour, it really didn't take much time to prepare. The recipe is so freaking poorly written, so I will tell you that I did cook the soy crumbles before using it, I used half a can of enchilada sauce each time it says, "pour tons of sauce in!" and I used Penzeys Taco Seasoning.

Today I work again (yes, I know it's Memorial Day - people still get sick on holidays) so I will take this for lunch and see if it passes the lunchbox test.

fritos

fritos

Enchilada Bake
PETA

12 oz. vegetarian burger crumbles
1 packet taco seasoning
2 15.5-oz. cans enchilada sauce
18 corn tortillas
2 15.5-oz. cans pinto beans, drained
2 green onions, chopped
2 cups vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
1 4.5-oz. can diced green chilies
2 cups Fritos corn chips, finely crushed

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

In a small bowl, combine the burger crumbles and taco seasoning and set aside.

Spray a 9-inch by 13-inch pan with oil.

In layers, spread a generous amount of enchilada sauce, 6 corn tortillas, 2 cans of pinto beans, a handful of green onion, a third of the shredded “cheese,” half the can of green chilies, lots more enchilada sauce, 6 more tortillas, all the seasoned burger crumbles, another third of the “cheese,” the remaining green chilies, more enchilada sauce, then the final 6 tortillas, more enchilada sauce, and the rest of the “cheese.” Cover in foil and bake for 30 minutes.

Remove the foil, top the entire casserole with the Fritos, and bake for another 15 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: