Sunday, April 29, 2012

Things I Ate On My Vacation: Part 2

After I left Oregon, I flew down to Orange County, California to meet up with my cousin and his friends and drive 2 hours into the Palm Desert to Indio, CA, where we went to Coachella Music & Arts Festival.

coachella

Hologram Tupac, yada yada yada... I am going to post about the food. We camped at Coachella, so we were there for five days. Despite a Walmart run, we bought a LOT of food from vendors - and the food vendors were great. There were stands from local restaurants and co-ops, and lines of food trucks. Being over in PA, I have never even seen a real food truck other than on the Food Network, so this was extremely exciting for me.

So this was the general setup:

coachella
coachella
{Rows of food vendors}

coachella coachella {Rows of food trucks}

As you can see, some "famous" places showed up. I don't eat meat so I didn't eat at Pink's Hot Dogs, but I was excited to see it represented. There was also a food truck from the winners of season 2 of The Great Food Truck Race on the Food Network: The Lime Truck. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse even had a booth.

I don't remember where I got everything from. I didn't remember to take pictures of all of the food, and I didn't take good notes because I often was sitting and talking to fellow festival-goers and enjoying the experience. The food was slightly overpriced but honestly I thought it was reasonable given the situation (except the $50 pizza from Spicy Pie - I didn't have any pizza, but $50 is way too much!). I know I had curry, I had an amazing breakfast burrito, so much iced coffee, lots of fresh guacamole... It just depended on where I was sitting, what time of day it was, and which music I planned to go see next. I tried not to eat the same thing twice, and I tried to hit a variety to maximize the food experience.

I wanted to get a waffle ice cream sandwich from The WaffleMan but it was just so hot and I didn't want it to melt (it was 106 degrees most of the days we were there!) What an awesome idea though, right?
coachella
{His menu}

This food truck, the Voodoo Van, was amazing.
coachella

This is the menu:
coachella
I had the "TrannyChaser," which was like a fantastic vegetarian version of pulled pork made with seitan and topped with cole slaw. It was super messy and when I dared to ask for a fork I got the "No forks, no knives, no mercy" schpiel. HAH. I did my best. It was delicious. One of my favorite things that I ate all weekend!! And I discovered when I got back that the truck is run by members of a SanFran band called Flexx Bronco. That's awesome.

Other notable foods:

coachella
I had these incredible breakfast tacos made with eggs, potatoes, shredded cabbage, and crumbly white cheese. All of my fellow campers had gotten the aforementioned $50 pizza for breakfast, but I'm pretty sure my $7 tacos reigned supreme at that meal. So good, with some coffee and freshly-made lemonade. Yum!

coachella
I also had famous baja fish tacos from Fishermans' Market & Grill's stand, but forgot to take a picture of them. They were incredible! You'd think seafood wouldn't translate well to the desert, but you would be wrong.

Clearly, Mexican food was the winner for me. I had more tacos and burritos than anything else. I also had these amazing vegetarian tacos:
coachella
which were basically just cheese and lettuce and pico de gallo and guacamole. And potato chips. SO YUMMY.

When we finally left after four nights of camping and five days of magical chaos, we were haggard and hungry for a nice, air conditioned place to sit and eat food. We randomly found Cheeky's, a really nice place in Palm Springs, and took a detour off the highway to go to it. What an excellent idea! Nothing has ever tasted so good.
coachella
{Note my cousin & his friends lying on the sidewalk while waiting for a table. We were so tired.}

coachella
{My tomato sandwich topped with fried egg, with a side of truffled hash browns.}

coachella
{Scrambled "custardy" eggs, scone, sausage}

coachella
{Eggs Benedict}

All in all, California was exciting and delicious and, as a result, I did not lose any weight as I had anticipated. Hah! Oh well. It was a great experience!

No comments: