Sunday, April 01, 2012

Butternut Squash Risotto

I have had this on my meal plan for seriously about 3 weeks. I keep planning to make it, and then I never make it. I've been hoping to use up the last of my frozen butternut squash from the last week of the CSA last year. I told you that things have been kind of up crazy lately, but we're getting into the swing of things and everything is starting to be normal. And, to me, normal means cooking. A lot. So last night I baked (I'll post about that later) and I made this risotto. I was afraid it was going to be a boring risotto with squash tossed in, but the beer and the chile powder give it a very subtle but different flavor. It was Erica's first experience with butternut squash and with risotto, so she tried a little bit of it and liked it! Hooray! I would consider making this again.

risotto

Butternut Squash Risotto
Taste of Home, February/March 2012

8 cups cubed, peeled butternut squash
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 to 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups uncooked arborio rice
1 cup lager
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh herbs, optional

1. In a large bowl, combine the squash, 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1 baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 450 for 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring once.

2. In a large saucepan, heat broth and water; keep warm. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in lager. Cook and stir until the liquid is absorbed.

3. Add heated broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add the butter, chili pepper, nutmeg, and squash; cook and stir until heated through. Remove risotto from the heat; stir in the cheese. Top with herbs if desired. Serve immediately.

Servings: 6

No comments: