Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Greasy Sae's Spicy Vegetarian Chili

I finally found it. The perfect vegetarian chili. The kind you have to cook on the stove for hours until all the flavors blend seamlessly into one amazing, delicious bowl of spicy goodness.

Where did I find it? The Hunger Games Cookbook. Look: for a cookbook that was made to capitalize on a book/movie phenomenon, this has far surpassed expectations. I would venture to say that this is one of the best cookbooks I own. I have not made a single thing from it that wasn't delicious, and I can easily say that some of the things I've made were entirely epic and went into my "most favorites" folder almost immediately. GUESS WHERE THIS ONE IS GOING?! Love it.

If you are sensitive to spice, cut down on the chipotle significantly. You could omit the jalapenos as well. Other than that, I followed the instructions exactly. SO GOOD. Hoorah!!

I forgot to take a picture because I'd been waiting 2 1/2 hours for my food to be ready, so instead please enjoy this still from the movie, of Katniss buying food from Greasy Sae:
sae

Greasy Sae's Spicy Vegetarian Chili
The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook, page 44

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 teaspoon cumin (more to taste)
2 cups vegetable broth
6 plum tomatoes, diced
2 jalapeno peppers with seeds, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
5 chipotle peppers (canned), sliced
1 8 ounce pack fresh white mushrooms
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 12 oz can tomato paste
1 10 ounce pack soy crumbles (found in freezer section)
1 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
Kosher salt to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste

In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook sliced onion, diced garlic, and cumin in olive oil until lightly browned. Add vegetable broth, plum tomatoes, all the peppers, white mushrooms, chili powder, and tomato paste. Mix thoroughly, then cover and let simmer for 45 minutes.

Add soy crumbles to mixture and let simmer for 20 minutes. Add all the beans and let the whole thing cook over very low heat for at least 60 minutes. Add salt and pepper and extra cumin to taste.

Yield: 4-6 servings

No comments: