Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Orecchiette with Roasted Brussels Sprouts

You know how much I love roasted brussels sprouts. We have a deep, deep, unbroken love that is pure and true. I love roasted brussels sprouts. You know what else I love? Pasta. And cream cheese. And wine. So it should come as no shock when I tell you that this is wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I didn't have orrecchiette ("little ear" shaped pasta) so I randomly used bowties. It's delicious and I absolutely would make this again. I'm taking the rest of it for lunch today. I'm unsure how well it will reheat, given that roasted brussels sprouts are so appealing because of their crispiness, but I will keep you posted.

brussels

Orecchiette with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Taste of Home, February/March 2012

2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, halved
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
3 3/4 cups uncooked orecchiette or small tube pasta
6 green onions, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup butter, cubed
3/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
Minced fresh parsley
Grated Parmesan cheese, optional

1. In a large bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts, 3 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15 x 10 x 1 baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400 for 30-40 minutes or until tender.

2. Meanwhile, cook orecchiette according to package directions; drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water.

3. In a small skillet, saute onions and garlic in butter for 1-2 minutes. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.

4. In a food processor, combine the onion mixture, reserved pasta water, and the remaining salt and pepper. Cover and process until smooth.

5. In a large saucepan, combine the Brussels sprouts, orecchiette, onion mixture, cream cheese and remaining oil. Cook over medium heat until heated through and cream cheese is melted, stirring frequently. Garnish with parsley and, if desired, Parmesan cheese.

Servings: 6

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Did you use plain cream cheese, or one of the flavored cream cheeses that have been advertised for cooking purposes lately?

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

I used regular 1/3-less-fat cream cheese. I'm not a fan of the flavored ones.