Monday, February 13, 2012

Fettuccine Alfredo

I can make really complex recipes with no problem sometimes, and then very simple ones I manage to destroy. I have no idea how I screwed up something so easy as fettuccine alfredo. It turned into this horrible, gluey, watery mess. It was NOT creamy OR delicious. I am also 100% sure it was cook's error, though I'm not positive where (or how many times!) I went wrong. It was just a disaster from start to finish. I'm not going to try it again - I've ruined it for myself. I'll try another recipe some other time. Anyone else want to try it out and tell me how it goes?

alfredo

Fettuccine Alfredo
Everyday Italian - Giada de Laurentiis (Food Network)

18 ounces fresh fettuccine
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups grated Parmesan
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground white pepper

1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Drain .

2. Stir 2 cups of the cream and the lemon juice in a heavy large skillet to blend . Add the butter and cook over medium heat just until the butter melts, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.

3. Add the pasta and toss. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of cream, and Parmesan to the cream sauce in the skillet. Add the lemon zest, nutmeg, salt, and white pepper. Toss the pasta mixture over low heat until the sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.

Servings: 6

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I've made this before and it turned out okay for me. Sorry it didn't for you- it was tasty and delicious!

Carrie said...

Just made this (with shrimp, brocolli and tomatoes!) and it's pretty yummy, though a bit lemony. Perhaps I used too much lemon juice... I didn't have quite enough heavy whipping cream so I did some substituting so my measurements may have been a little off. Still yummy though!

Anonymous said...

It was probably all the lemon juice. When I make this, I just use butter, heavy cream, and high quality parmesan cheese. Melt the butter over low heat, then add the cream. When the cream is *almost* to a boil, add the grated cheese. Keep stirring and it'll all melt together really nicely. Take off of the heat, mix with cooked and drained fettuccine (I prefer linguine!) and that's it. I like to add grilled chicken and fresh baby spinach. Served with a side salad, and it's a quick yummy meal! (although not at all healthy!)