Saturday, February 18, 2012

Couscous with Pine Nuts and Currants

Earlier this week, I ran out of things to bring for lunch and, while the hospital has a great cafeteria, it is crazy overpriced. So I found this recipe in my giant recipe collection. I pulled this together in less than 10 minutes, portioned it into tupperware containers, and took it for the rest of the week. It worked out perfectly and definitely passed the lunchbox test, particularly since you don't really need to refrigerate it or reheat it during the day. I used dried cranberries instead of currants because it's what I had on-hand. I also used some Penzeys Tuscan Sunset sprinkled in for extra flavor instead of the fines herbes, which was a good idea. I also did not have a cucumber, so I just omitted that. No issues there. It was interesting and good, though I don't think it's something I'd make again unless under similar "must make lunches now!" circumstances.

couscous

Couscous with Pine Nuts and Currants
Self, September 2005

1/8 cup sesame seeds
1/8 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dry whole-wheat couscous (made from semolina, which is used to make pasta)
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
1 cup peeled, seeded and finely diced cucumber
1/8 cup dried currants plumped in water
1/4 cup fines herbes (or minced mint, cilantro and parsley)
Lemon juice
Red pepper flakes

Heat oven to 400°F. Spread sesame seeds and pine nuts on a cookie sheet and bake until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from sheet and set aside. In a large saucepan, boil 1 cup water with butter and salt. Remove from heat and add couscous. Stir, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Toss couscous with sesame seeds, pine nuts, chickpeas, cucumber, currants, and fines herbes. Season to taste with remaining ingredients and salt and pepper. add your own note

Servings: 4

No comments: