Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Unicorn Poop Cookies

As I will reiterate from similar posts, people who know me well know that I love the following: pie, Journey, rainbows, unicorns, and glitter. While this is not a "recipe," per se, and more of a tutorial, this combines the last three of that list. Rainbows, unicorns, and glitter. It is quite possibly one of the great achievements of my life. I give you...

UNICORN POOP.
poop

Now, before you freak out, I will assure you that these are INSANELY GOOD. I used THIS TUTORIAL but instead of their sugar cookie recipe, I subbed in my Peeta's Sugar Cookie recipe (since it is the best sugar cookie recipe in the whole world). And you know what? Despite their frighteningly joyous appearance, the cookies taste great. Just don't roll them in sugar like the recipe says. Instead, follow the tutorial and cover them in sparkle gel.

So to sum up how to make the cookies:
1) Make cookie dough (if you're using my recipe, stop before the "refrigerate dough" part).

2) Divide cookie dough into four or five groups and color them with food dye. I used Wilton Gel Icing Colors in teal, pink, yellow, and violet. (Side note: I love these food colorings. My mom uses them to dye the icing for her famous cookies, and they're wonderful.) Refrigerate the dough per the recipe.

3) Take little pieces of each color of dough and roll them into "snakes," then combine them into piles. Roll them all together in a swirly pattern and mush, making sure to keep a little point here and there. Here are my cookies before they went into the oven:

poop

4) Bake per the recipe. They don't really spread. Cool completely.

5) NOW IT IS TIME TO DECORATE and this is where the real magic begins. I used the following:

poop
-Wilton Sparkle Gel in White
-Flower/star sprinkles
-White sanding sugar

The tutorial calls for Disco Dust, an "edible" glitter dust, but the reviews of it online make it sound kinda toxic and not something I want to put on my cookies, hence the sanding sugar instead. So I painted the glitter gel on with a pastry brush (squirt on the cookie and then brush), stuck on some stars and flowers, and then sprinkled the whole thing with the sanding sugar.

Ta-da! Magic cookies. And the best part? They're beautiful AND DELICIOUS.

poop

1 comment:

AnickH said...

these cookies are so gorgeous!!!