Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Peeta's Sugar Cookies

THE LONG VERSION:
(I have another header further down if you feel like skipping all this)
If you know me off this blog at all, you know that I am obsessed with The Hunger Games book series (and soon-to-be movie). I read all three books last year and my love for it has not waned. Another Twilight, it is not. It is absolutely amazing. Friends who have argued with me that it's a "young adult series" and therefore is stupid have eaten their words when they eventually read the books. I have not yet had a single person tell me they did not like them.

So. I saw a Hunger Games Cookbook for sale. It is unofficial and some of the recipes are kind of a stretch to relate to the book (although the ones for "tree rat" and "squirrel" are pretty relatable - though not at all pallatable) but the idea is wonderful. You would be surprised how much they actually talk about food in that book. I have decided that in honor of the movie coming out (March 23!) I am going to cook a whole bunch of recipes from it. And since my favorite character is Peeta, it made sense for me to start with a Peeta recipe.

I am not going to give anything away. At all. I never even tell people what the plot of the series is; I just tell them to read it. So my explanations for these recipes are going to be vague so as not to spoil it, but I will tell you that these are an imagining of the butter cookies the baker gives the girl before she gets on the thing to go to that place.

START READING HERE IF YOU DID NOT READ THE REST:
This is the best recipe for sugar cookies ever. I mean, my mom's are good but my mom's are made with almond extract and they're roll-out cookies. This is a great, delicious, perfectly-textured straight-up sugar cookie. And it has immediately taken the spot as Favorite Sugar Cookie. This will be my go-to. They are just so perfect. Everyone at work agreed, which was exciting. So. Make some now.

cookie

Sweet Sugar Cookies from a Sweetie
The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook, pg 175

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
3 tablespoons white sugar

1. In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. In a small bowl, beat together the egg and vanilla.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, 1 cup white sugar, and the turbinado sugar. Cream until light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Add egg and vanilla mixture, mixing completely. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.

3. Chill dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Fifteen minutes before baking, preheat oven to 375.

4. Pour 3 tablespoons of white sugar into a small bowl. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into small balls. Roll balls in sugar, then place onto ungreased cookie sheets.

5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until just barely golden brown at the edges. If the cookies don't look completely done, that's okay. let cookies stand on sheet for 5 minutes before removing to cool on wire rack.

Yield: 1 dozen
(Note: I was easily able to get 2 dozen out of this, and those were even BIG cookies.)

5 comments:

Carrie said...

These are yummy. I don't think mine were as perfect as they could have been though. I ran out of white flour so substituted white whole wheat flour, which changes the taste/texture a tiny bit. AND I'm still figuring out my convection oven... each tray turned out differently, which isn't cool. The top tray was perfect, the middle tray only half flattened out but were still yummy and the bottom tray are basically still balls with flat bottoms that burned a bit. :/ I shall try again later.

Carrie said...

Take 2: Holy cow. These are amazing! I did everything correctlyl this time and I can't stop eating them - they are so friggin' good!!

brooke said...

@ Carrie--

Convection ovens can be kinda weird. Try rotating your pans from top to bottom part way through, and maybe even turning the pans around.

brooke said...

@ Carrie--

Convection ovens can be kinda weird. Try rotating your pans from top to bottom part way through, and maybe even turning the pans around.

caitx0r said...

I've always failed every sugar cookie recipe I've tried. These were amazing though! Thank you !